Although there are some differing views, the Darling River is generally considered to begin a little to the east of Brewarrina with the confluence of a number of rivers flowing from northern NSW and southwest Queensland. From the 40,000 year old Aboriginal Fish Traps at Brewarrina, the Darling joins the Murray at Wentworth and flows on to Lake Alexandrina, Lake Albert and the world-renowned Coorong National Park in South Australia.
This diverse region showcases some of Australia’s iconic landscapes, picturesque river ports, historic outback communities, spectacular nationally and internationally-listed national parks and conservation reserves, important Aboriginal sites, abundant wildlife, and productive farming land. Citrus, stone fruit, olives, honey, dates, almonds, wheat, cotton, grains, yabbies, sheep, cattle and vineyards are grown or raised along this route. We will be making stops to taste the local produce or sample the wines at well-established vineyards, or perhaps we’ll stop at one of the small craft brewers to see how they are getting on.
These rivers are long, very long. The combined Darling and Murray River is 2,844 kilometres long from its longest tributaries in the Darling Downs of Queensland. Our tour follows the river for only 2,400 km which we will do in 14 days including a side trip to the heritage-listed city of Broken Hill. Major attractions include remarkable Mt Oxley, the abundant birdlife at Menindee Lakes, visiting Australia’s first biosphere reserve, the Morgan Conservation Park (famous for its untouched lagoons, swamps, and creek systems), the ochre-coloured cliffs of Ngaut Ngaut Conservation Park and the Coorong National Park (now recognised as a wetland of international significance).
Along the way, we will stay at great locations, and experience real outback hospitality and home-cooked country food prepared with local organic produce. Depending on the season we will also participate in farm activities and community events.
Note: We offer a unique hospitality experience in regional Australia. All properties have been hand-selected by our local ground operator Bill. This is in keeping with our overall philosophy and intention to support tourism in these areas. If you are joining the tour as a single traveller and purchase a single supplement, you will receive your own room. However, on occasions, you may need to share a bathroom with other travellers. On some occasions, twin/double travellers may also need to share a bathroom. We trust you will be understanding in these circumstances.
- Experience some of the most scenic sections of the Murray and Darling rivers
- Visit fabulous regional food and wine producers
- Stay at working stations and enjoy local country hospitality
- A trip to Silverton outback ghost town
- Kinchega shearing shed showcasing a bygone era of Australian farming history
- Visit Mt Oxley for an abundance of wildlife and beautiful landscapes
- Watch a video on Youtube https://youtu.be/DxkvqFYVOag
||1 June 2022|
- Tours depart with a minimum of 4 clients
- No more than 6 clients on any trip
- Tour cost excludes domestic flights and train travel
- To book and reserve your place on a tour, a deposit of $500 and a completed booking form is required