Coastal journeys don’t get much more spectacular than the Great Ocean Road.
Following the Great Ocean Road is an experience that encapsulates all our great country has to offer. Considered by many to be the Aussie equivalent of California’s celebrated drive from LA to San Francisco, the Great Ocean Road was built at the end of WWI by nearly 3,000 returned soldiers living in camps set up along the route, using picks, shovels, and crowbars. The road offers outstanding views of Bass Strait and the Southern Ocean, with striking and dramatic natural rock formations including Loch Ard Gorge, the Grotto, London Bridge (renamed London Arch in recent years after the ‘bridge’ partially collapsed) and, most famously, the Twelve Apostles.
Beginning in Melbourne and ending in Adelaide, you will journey west along the ocean road, taking in some of Victoria and South Australia’s most iconic and spectacular coastal scenery. Along the way, you will visit heritage sites, gorges, sinkholes, National Parks, wine-growing regions, and seaside villages. There will be extraordinary wildlife encounters, and plentiful gourmet offerings.
We’ll have overnight stops in Lorne, Mt Gambier, Robe, Port Fairy, and Kangaroo Island. During our stay on Kangaroo Island, we’ll visit the wildlife park to hear of the extraordinary efforts from locals to rescue and treat injured wildlife during the recent bushfires.
In South Australia, we’ll explore the scenic Fleurieu Peninsula, Coonawarra wine region, and the crater lakes at Mt Gambier. The Fleurieu has a great maritime history, once being the centre of the 1800s Murray River paddle steamer industry. The region boasts incredible natural features, including the Coorong National Park and the Murray Mouth (where the Murray River enters Lake Alexandrina and onto the Southern Ocean). You will be in excellent hands with your local tour guide and driver Bill.
- Swim with wild dolphins on Kangaroo Island
- Visit Flinders Chase National Park one of the oldest national parks in South Australia
- Explore the cascading waterfalls and gorges of Cape Otway National Park
- Kangaroo Island’s spectacular Seal Bay Conservation Park
- A guided Kangaroo Island koala sanctuary walk and bushfire ecology tour
- Cruise to the Murray Mouth on the Spirit of the Coorong
- Explore the best wineries and distilleries on the Fleurieu Peninsula
- Visit the Alice in Wonderland-like d’Arenberg Cube
||18 February 2022|
- Tours depart with a minimum of 4 clients
- No more than 6 clients on any trip
- Tour begins at Avalon airport and ends at Kingscote airport
- Tour cost excludes domestic flights and train travel
- To book and reserve your place on a tour, a deposit of $500 and a completed booking form is required